Wednesday, September 30, 2015

David And Goliath - 5 Smooth Stones Snack Idea


This week in my preschool Sunday school class, we studied the story of David and Goliath.

Our story started with David helping his family by delivering bread and cheese to his brothers on the battlefield.  I had a few small loaves of bread and some spreadable cheese (out of the fridge) as a visual aid for the children.

This was not our snack, because as I suspected, the 3s and 4s thought the bread smelled funny, and the cheese looked icky.

So after we read the story, and played a game where we stacked up nine blocks (for Goliath's 9 feet), and then threw a smaller block at them, to knock them down (because it seemed like a natural thing to do), and then measured ourselves next to a nine foot measuring tape, and made craft stick puppets of our families (to compare with David and his brothers) as directed by the Lifeway Sunday school lesson...


...the children counted out a snack of five smooth grapes, and five wrinkly raisins each (with extras on hand for the hungry children), and we talked about the difference between smooth and wrinkly - and why David would have chosen five smooth stones instead of rough ones for his sling shot.

Then to finish off the lesson, we listened again to "Little David Play on Your Harp", while I traced silhouettes of the children out on a roll of paper, to cut and put up on the wall next to a 9 foot cut-out Goliath (which I hope to have hanging for review, next week).

5 comments:

claireshomeeducation said...

Between you and Ticia I shall know where to come for all my Bible teaching for my littlest two. Thank you for sharing :)

Camie said...

I love how you're bringing these Bible stories to life for these little ones. I bet they look forward to every class.

Ticia said...

I LOVE it! What a great snack idea.

MaryAnne said...

This is a great lesson!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Funny how almost any Bible lesson can be "customized" for any age :)