Monday, August 23, 2010

Preschool Numeracy Play Dough Fun

I tried to make some play dough snake letters with my youngest (age 4), but discovered pretty quickly, that while she has mastered rolling the play dough out into a snake, forming the snakes into numbers is still too hard for her.


That's when I remembered the play dough letter mats from Make Learning Fun, I'd seen on The Fantastic Five , and wondered if they had similar mats for practicing numbers. While, they have some terrific resources there, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. But, the mats I wanted were only a click away, at Sparkle Box.



I downloaded, printed them, and had them covered in contact paper, ready for some math time fun, while the girls enjoyed a few minutes of free play with the dough.

They were just what we needed. It's truly terrific to have such wonderful resources, available for free (minus the printer ink, paper, and contact paper) at the click of the mouse.

You can find more math resources, activities, and ideas, and even some more numeracy play dough mats at the Math Monday link-up at Joyful Learner.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I printed up some number mats to use with play dough a while ago, but I keep forgetting to use them! It's on my to do list now. Thanks for the reminder.

Deborah said...

I really love this idea - thanks for sharing the link and the idea!1

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Great activity! Thanks! (Just another reason I need a laminator. :)

Joyful Learner said...

It never occurred to me to use number mats. It's a great idea!

Ticia said...

this has been on my to do list for a long time.

Unknown said...

Aw- thanks for the shout out! And I am glad you found some number mats- just for me, right? :0)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Yep, I have it on my "to do" as well - looks like such a fun activity! I think we need to do some practicing with rolling playdoh snakes though!