Saturday, October 10, 2009

Knitting A Sock

I would love to post about something terribly new and clever this morning, but in truth, I spent all of my free time yesterday knitting on a sock. Yes, I so mean a, as in one, sock. There's no point in committing to a pair, when I haven't managed one yet.

I started the wretched thing an entire week ago, feeling quite proud of myself for taking on knitting in the round. But, I was humbled almost immediately, when I realized I was going to have to modify the instructions in Melanie Falick's Kids Knitting, to make them a little simpler (when you're simplifying a project from a book intended for children, so that it will be easy enough for you to do as an adult, there isn't a lot of room left for pride).

Progress on the sock has been painfully slow, and often interrupted, but I am determined to finish it, this weekend. It has been a lifelong dream of mine to knit my own socks - sad I know, but there you have it.

I may end up house bound all weekend anyway, H1N1 has reared its head in our valley, and I now have a six year old with a fever, so we'll probably not be taking any chances. Not that there was much likelihood of going out anyway. There is an apple festival going on in the valley this weekend, but with another 17 degree morning, it's lost most of its appeal. So, it looks like a cozy day by the fireplace, with my sock.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

No comments: