Saturday, August 22, 2009

Potato Play Dough


I'm not usually one to encourage children to play with their food. However, when I discovered five fungus touched potatoes in a freshly opened bag from the grocery store, I decided to try out a new play dough recipe. I peeled the suspect potatoes, boiled, and then mashed them, ending up with about two cups of mashed potatoes.

Then, I added two and half cups of flour, about a half cup of vegetable oil, and a few drops of food coloring, to divided off portions of the dough.
The children played with it on top of tinfoil, to keep cleanup simple.

It made a pretty mushy, gooey dough, though it was firm enough to hold it's form. I gave it to the children warm, and left a few potato lumps in tact, so the texture would be completely different from our normal play doughs.

The gross out factor, drove the older children away pretty quickly. But, my youngest two loved it, and spent a good part of the afternoon burying little cars in it.


It's probably not a dough we'll make again, but the experience was interesting enough, for me to recommend that you try it, at least...once.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

No comments: